Here is the list of some common interview questions asked by civil engineering companies. These should help civil engineers to prepare for their interview:
These are the common structural analysis related questions asked in civil engineering interview:
- What do you meant by buckling or crippling load?
- What is meant by slenderness ratio? State its effect on design of compression members?
- Define specific yield and specific retention?
- Shear force and BM diagrams for diverse kinds of loadings on beams
Mechanics of structures
- State the differences between bending moment and twisting moment.
- State the differences between mild steel and HYSD bars
- State the differences between proof resilience and modulus of resilience
- Define strain energy.
Reinforced Concrete Structures
- Define pre stressed concrete? State its ingredients.
- What is meant by 53 stand for in 53-grade cement?
- Explain how to construct a 25 storey building with no columns?
- State the loads to be taken into account for the design of bridges?
- State the differences between pre-tensioning and post-tensioning
- Define L/D ratio of a cantilever beam?
- What is the type of Idukki dam? Explain its details and peculiarity.
- Explain the process of leveling Theodolite.
- State the advantages of electronic theodolite over transit theodolite.
- State the standard lengths of chains utilized in surveying.
- Define Benchmark. Explain the types.
- Define geosynthetics? List its applications in civil engineering field
- What is meant by 80/100 bitumen?
- Which is widely utilized-bitumen or tar? Why?
- List the safety measures to be taken for construction in marshy soil?
- Explain the relation between submerged unit weight and submerged weight?
- Name the various kinds of foundations adopted for different soils?
- Define differential settlement?
- Explain the significance of Attenbug’s limits in soil engineering.
- State the differences between activity and sensitivity of soils.
- State the differences between soil stabilization and ground improvement.
- How does machine foundation different from an normal foundation?
- Explain the permanent solution applied for the restoration of leaning Tower of Pisa?
- Define Littoral Drift.
- State the differences between folds and faults.
- Define camber.
- Define cutback bitumen? State its special usages.
- Illustrate a typical C.S. of a permanent way.
- What is meant by IRC?
- State angularity number and provide practical applications.
- What substances as ballast would you suggest for a high speed track? Give reasons.
- Define spillway?
- Define total energy line?
- What is meant by flow net? Explain its uses
- Why isn’t a venturimeter utilized widely for measurement of discharge in houses?
- Define critical hydraulic gradient?
State the differences between weir, notch and barrage
- State the differences between slow and rapid sand filters.
- Define super chlorination?
- Define canopy?
- State the differences between BOD and COD.
- Differentiate between Advanced Construction and Construction Technology.
- Define batching? State the differences between volume and weight batching.
- Explain the process of underwater concreting.
- Name the forces involved in underwater construction.
- What do 20 stand for in M20 mix concrete?
Building materials and Construction
These are the common building materials and construction related questions asked in civil engineering interview:
- Name the dimensions of the standard brick?
- What is meant by thin shell roofs? Why is its popularity increasing?
- What are the different kinds of retaining walls.